The WDC has just published Regional Income and Output-An Analysis of County Incomes and Regional, 2012 which examines income data for the Western Region counties and GVA figures for the regions, looking at the most recent data from the CSO County Incomes and Regional GDP and trends over time.
The headline figures are:
- The household disposable income per person in the Western Region was €17,735 in 2012, 91.1% of the State average, which was €19,468.
- In 2012 the highest level of disposable income in the seven Western Region counties was in Galway at €18,890. This is 97% of the State average. The lowest was in Donegal at €15,921 (81.8% of the State average).
- The gap between the average household disposable income in the Western Region and the State in 2012 was 91.1%. Over the long term there has been a narrowing of the gap in disposable income with the Western Region 89.1% of the State average in 2000 and 84.3% in 1995.
- In 2012 the GVA per person in the West region was €28,256 and €19,016 in the Border region. These compare with a State figure of €34,308.
- GVA in 2012 was still below that of 2007 in all regions except the West, where recovery in GVA has been strong. It was still very significantly below that of 2007 in the Border and Midland regions.
- The index of GVA (2012, State=100), for the Border region was 55.4 and the West region 82.4. There has been a widening of disparities among regions since the recovery began.
Two short WDC Insights papers (each 2 pages) have also been published, one highlighting key points in relation to County Incomes and the other examining Trends in Regional GDP.
Regional Income and Output- A WDC Report
County level data on household and per capita disposable incomes is released every year by the CSO alongside data on Gross Value Added (GVA) at a regional level. This report provides a summary of key figures and trends. County Income data allows us to compare incomes among counties in the Western Region and to examine trends over time. The GVA data at regional level is important for tracking regional output levels and trends as well as changes among regions.
Download the report Regional Income and Output-2012 (PDF 1.5MB)
WDC Insights Trends in County Incomes in the Western Region
This short WDC Insights highlights some of the trends in County Income in the Western Region which were examined in the report Regional Income and Output. The county income data allows useful comparison among counties and show trends over time.
WDC Insights Trends in Regional Output
This WDC Insights presents key data and analysis of trends in regional GVA. This provides a measure of the output and economic activity of each region and allows comparison among regions in Ireland and internationally and shows the relative changes among regions over time.