As a publicly funded body, one of the WDC’s key roles is to make sure that public investment in the development of the Western Region is effective and that it brings both a regional and a national dividend.
To ensure this, the WDC’s Policy Team:
- Carries out and publishes research on regional and rural issues, such as transport, telecommunications and energy infrastructure, enterprise and employment, town development, travel to work, indicators and impact measurement.
- Responds to requests for policy submissions in areas relevant to Western development and in areas where the WDC has expertise.
- Provides a regional perspective to the work of public policy bodies such as government departments and agencies, the Information Society Commission, the AgriFood 2010 and AgriFood 2015 Think Tanks, the National Statistics Board, County Development Boards.
- Participates on various advisory committees (for example, Forfás).
- Hosts, and contributes to, conferences, seminars and policy briefings on a variety of issues relevant to both regional and national development.